Monday 14 May 2012

LUNAR GARDENING MAY 2012

PADS GARDEN PLAN
14.May.2012


Awful layout follows



























Current situation:


Indoors...
A Mini greenhouse in the conservatory - major heat trap. Has about 10 chilli plants in the top level, a couple of which are touching the ceiling of the greenhouse. 2 of the plants need repotting but I haven't got any more large pots at the minute. All are doing well, a couple maybe struggled with the repotting, several are showing the beginnings of flower buds.

Also in the mini greenhouse are 6 tiny lettuce seedlings I repotted into individual small inserts today. In 'group pot germination' are basil, chives, parsley, rockett, watercress and another type of lettuce. I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting. Nia's parents gave me two pumpkin seeds in pots, which have so far done nothing. Also there are 3 small lettuce plants in there that Anna Doggart gifted me. I got my chitted seed potatoes from Shiv's earlier today and have put them in the greenhouse for safe keeping. Also I got a strange pack of dirt labelled as strawberries for half price from wilkos today, I've made a little hanging basket out of a milk carton for them, have no idea what's going to happen with them.

Hovering around the conservatory/house - two tomato hanging baskets (2 plants in one, 3 in another), one is in kitchen. They seem quite content and are coming along well, one is starting to droop over the edges as intended.

Repotted (i think) 7 sweet pepper plants today which have been growing for a couple of months, they are quite nice, some still rather small. I've filled a window sill planter with compost and there are my first major basil, chive and parsley plants in there, with space for more at a later date. Looks nice, Basil and parsley are doing magnificently but chives maybe a little choked - or are they just slow?

Some spring onion seeds in germination in the conservatory and three more chilli plants that need repotting.

Nia's venus fly trap 'Lady Di' is on the windowsill, I fed her a dead wasp yesterday. The fly trap, not Nia. Also some lovely azaelias I bought for her are on the 'table'.

Outdoors...
2 planter pots with 2 onions in each, seem to be doing ok - the stems are hardening up. One planter with 3 garlics in it, nothing happening yet. One planter with nothing in it - don't know what to use it for yet. Must choose wisely!

I've dug over the three 'allotment' style beds in the garden and have got 4 of Anna's cabbages in one of them, all still covered by plastics. I mixed miracle grow into the soil in these beds.

Had a dig in a strange shallow bed surrounded by tiles. Cannot figure out what to do with it, would ideally like to make another bed but I'm unsure whether I am permitted. There is a nice flower bed by the conservatory door with spearmint and what I think is a rosebush in it, with space for more. There is a border bed on the long side of the garden with lots of spearmint and some reed like things and a little bush or two. On the north border there are 10 heavily coppiced pine trees, rather ugly and no doubt dominating the soil but there is definite potential for a bit of deep tendered soil and a flower border. Also have a large pot of mature chives Nia's parents gave to us.

Immediate plan LUNAR GARDENING
At the moment Sun is in TAURUS
Today and yesterday moon in PISCES and is in the last (waning) quarter. This then is a good time for transplanting, hence the moving about of things I've done today (chillis, lettuces, sweet peppers, chitted potatos).

However, as we're in the waning moon I'm holding off planting until the new moon, which will be in TAURUS on 18-19th May. Between then and now is the ARIES moon in last quarter - a barren sign in a good position for some weeding and garden maintenance.

So the plan for the next 2 weeks according to the luminaries is as follows...


MAY 15-17 - Last quarter, Moon in ARIES


Time to weed the shit flower beds and tidy up (if I get in the garden). Also might plant a couple of Sunflower seeds as Fire signs favour plants grown for their seeds (creative energy) like Sunflowers.


May 18-20 - New Moon, Moon in TAURUS, Sun going into GEMINI late on the 20th


I'll be planting most of my hardy root crop - Parsnips straight in the ground as I'm already a bit late with them (in the middle bed I think). Plant Carrots into the ground but maybe some in pots as controls. Beetroot - possibly some in spare pot? Definitely some in the ground, maybe between the parsnips. Also Radishes into the ground and a couple inside as controls (same for beetroot actually). Potatos into growbags and - dare I - a few into the ground for good measure?

Into the ground - Parsnips, Carrots, Beetroots, Radishes
Into bags - Potatos
Into pots - carrots, radishes

Busy day that, but very important I catch this POWERFUL POWERFUL TAUREAN new moon. Hell yeah.

May 21-23 - New Moon, moon in GEMINI
Barren, Garden maintenance time. I read somewhere that Parsley is associated with Gemini so might do a little experiment while the sun and moon are both in GEMINI see if I can make some super parsley. Would like to get some nice organic compost for that (and everything actually - in fact I just phoned Anna Doggart in the middle of writing this and offered a swap of 2 chilli plants and a sweet pepper for some organic dirt). Prepare seed trays for planting veggies in CANCER

May 23-25 - First Quarter, moon in CANCER
Time for some planting in an opportune time - A waxing moon and a water sign - perfect.
Will plant a couple more carrots and radishes, to make use of the lunar situation and back up the previous TAUREAN crop.

Lots to put into seed trays -
Tray 1: HERBS and SALADS - basil, parsley, chives. Mizuna, rockett, spinach, more lettuces?
Tray 2: VEGGIES - Broccoli, Romanesco, Spring Onions

Into the Ground: Spinach into planter pot/Ground? Same for Rockett? Runner Beans into veg patch and maybe in pot with spinach! FLEECE may be required.

MAY 25-27   
First Quarter, Moon in LEO

Have myself a rest.

May 28-30
Second quarter, VIRGO

Continue to rest, but could prepare seed trays for flowers

MAY 30-JUN 1
Second quarter, moon in LIBRA

This is when I plan to plant my first flowers!

In seed trays:
Nasturtiums
Marigolds
Cosmos
Poppies
Sunflowers



ALL THE WHILE I MUST BE LOOKING OUT FOR TIMES TO PUT THE GREENHOUSE OUTSIDE, to harden up my plants.

Looking forward: I plan to set up my worm farm in the Aquarius moon - 7 June-9 June





Lunar gardening links:
Cafe Astrology annual astrology overview
Some lunar gardening tips
Gardening by moon phases
Lunar Organics - Biodynamics and lunar planting
Lunarium

1 comment:

  1. Spot on.

    If you want cheap pots, head to Poundland in Wrexham County.

    Chives and most herbs are very slow growes.

    ReplyDelete

Followers